- Order your free credit reports online. Order one each per quarter and not all at once.
- Save and print the report.
- Examine everything on it from previous home addresses, SSN, past jobs, and credit cards for inaccuracies.
- Determine how old the item is. If it is a credit charge, it should not be more than 7 years old. Bankruptcies stay on for 10. If you find items older than this on the report, put a check mark beside them.
- Dispute any incorrect information on the report with the crediting agency (such as Mastercard) or with the Fair Credit Reporting Agency. You can find it online while in the report or enter the agency name in the location bar and file it that way.
Thursday, June 26, 2014
Forbes Living on How to Clean Up Your Credit Report
There are literally hundreds of articles on the Internet on how to clean a messy credit report. What makes this one different is that you can do it yourself, without paying an agency a fee, and keep on top of it at the same time. Forbes Living shares how to clean up your credit report –yourself.
It takes time and effort but the end results will show on your credit scores.